This is a great recipe for adding a little spice and variety to your family's menu!
1 lb. penne pasta, cooked
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ chopped onion
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. crushed garlic
¾ cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ cup grated parmesan
2 Tbsp. vodka (optional)
Sarah Lasry, Author of “The Dairy Gourmet” and “The At Home Gourmet” and the Food and Home Contributing Editor for Binah Magazine shares her favorite recipes with Pual Institute visitors. Check out more of Sarah's Kosher Recipes at kosherstreet.com
- Prepare the red sauce first. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté onions in butter and olive oil until translucent.
- Add basil, oregano, and garlic to the onions. Mix well with a wooden spoon and cover pot. Allow onions to simmer in the spices for about 3 minutes.
- Uncover pan and add canned tomatoes, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Lower heat and partially cover pot. Allow the sauce to simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- Prepare the white sauce. Place the heavy cream in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Allow the cream to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add garlic and parmesan cheese. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes until it thickens slightly. If you would like a thicker sauce, add more parmesan cheese.
- When the white sauce has finished simmering, raise the heat to medium-high. Add red sauce to white sauce. Using a wooden spoon, stir the two sauces together until you get a very pink sauce.
- Add the vodka and let sauce simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour over hot penne. Mix pasta with sauce until well coated. Serve with extra parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Help a couple realize their dream of building a family.
Donate to Puah now.